Skip to content

You are here: Home / International / Studying abroad / Procedure / Erasmus Stays for Studies

Erasmus Stays for Studies

Once you have been pre-assigned a mobility place in a university of our offer, when you do the application to the host university (Request place at a university), and fill in your learning agreement, you must consider which kind of stay you will perform. Find down below the explanation of the Erasmus stays for studies.


What is a Stay for Studies?

The stay for studies (unlike the stay for traineeship) is the one where you have to enrol credits both at the host university and at the UPC (in  Erasmus stays and some non Erasmus stays, payment is only made at UPC, although in some universities you may have to pay some alternative fee).This means that:

  • The host university should appear at the ETSETB offer for your study plan: Univiersities offer(obriu en una finestra nova).
  • The activity you are going to do has credits in the host university and you can enrol it there. This is not always true in the case of the Final thesis (TFG/TFM).

If you are going to do your Final thesis (TFG/TFM), when doing the application to the host university after our nomination, select from their offer, if there is the module or course corresponding to the final thesis with a similar number of credits to the one of your study plan at ETSETB.

If there is no such module or course, maybe they have a procedure so that nominated students perform their final thesis in the traineeship modality. In this case, you will not be allowed to do other courses at the host university; only the final thesis. You can have an Erasmus scholarship both in the traineeship modality and in the studies modality; depending on the modality of your stay, you will have to request for one kind of Erasmus scholarship or the other.

What is an Erasmus stay?

Erasmus stays take place in a country of the European Erasmus zone (KA103) or in one of the universities that, despite not being in Europe, belong to the universities of the Erasmus project (KA107). Find the information is here: This kind of stays give right to the Erasmus scholarship. The Erasmus scholarship you must request and the requirements you must meet in order to have this scholarship depened on whether your stay is for studies or for traineeship.

Requirements for the Erasmus studies scholarship (2020-2021 call)

If you request for an Erasmus scholarship for studies, the enrolment requirements are explained here: Requisits de matrícula 2020-2021. And here is all the information about the call, the deadlines and the way to request for the scholarship: Convocatòria 2020-2021. The most important you must consider is:

  • Maximum duration: The semestral stays can last for a maximum of 210 days (approx. 7 months). Moreover, the Autumn semester cannot last longer than March, 31 and the Spring semester cannot last longer than September 30. If you have two Erasmus stays, they cannot add up to more than 360 days between the two.
  • You must enrol at UPC a minimum of 20 ECTS for one semestral stay or (if they are the last ones of your sudies) 12 ECTS. They have to be credits corresponding to activities (courses and/or final thesis) enrolled in the host university.
  • You must deliver at UPC, within the deadline and as required, all the documents explained at the sites:

Study plan at host university. To determine during your application at host university


  • They must be courses related to your studies, so that they can be incorporated into your file, although they do not need to have a correspondence with any specific subject of your study plan.
  • They will be incorporated into your file as common elective credits; not as core courses or intensification or specialization subjects, which you should have completed before at ETSETB.
  • Make sure that the grades system of the courses selected is not of the kinde Pass/non Pass. Otherwise, in case you pass them, you will only be qualified with a 5 in ETSETB.
  • At the end of your stay, grades conversion will be made from the transcript of records we receive from your host university and according to the MECD scale.

Final Thesis

  • You need to find a module or course at host university corresponding to a final thesis, with a similar number of credits to the ones of ETSETB.
  • Defence will be normally made at the host university, though an ETSETB evaluation board will also assess the thesis, according both to the assessment and defence documents of the host university and the written documents of the student (report, etc). See the page  Final Master's or Bachelor Thesis (TFG/TFM), to know the details of the procedure.

How to fill in the precommitment

The precommitment model is at: Documents before leaving.

This document, together with the learning agreement, gives us the information about what you will enrol at host university and its correspondence with what you enrol at ETSETB. The information is the same in both documents, but the correspondence is clearer seen at the precommitment. The precommitment is an internal document to sign only by you  and ETSETB and the learning agreement is the official document to be signed as well by the host university.

At the left column write what you will enrol at the host university and at the right column what you will enrol at ETSTEB corresponding to the left column. If one course at the host university is not related to your studies (e.g. language courses), you don't need to add it; but, in case you do so, don't write anything at the write cell, since there will be no correspondence at ETSETB.

  • Elective subjects. They will correspond to common optional credits. Their contents must be related to your studies at ETSETB. The credits number at the right side (ETSETB credits), cannot be higher than the corresponding ones at the left side. You must enrol at ETSETB either the same corresponding credits of host university or less credits. If you enrol less credits, we will consider the ones best qualified.
  • In the exceptional case you find a course in the host university corresponding to a core course  or a specialization or intensification course, instead of writing "elective credits" at the right side, you will write the specific course at ETSETB. In these exceptional cases, before sending us the precommitment, you will have to receive the approval from the head of studies of your study plan.
  • Final thesis (TFG/TFM). The codes for every ETSETB final thesis are the following: GRETST: 230094; GREELEC: 230933; GREFISI: 230480; MET: 230683; MEE: 230682; MATT: 230725; MEFF:230863.

How to fill in the learning agreement for studies

The learning agreement model is at: Documents before leaving. Select the model of the Erasmus stay if your stay is Erasmus. In this case. In this case, make sure the Erasmus+ logo appears at the upper left-hand corner of the document. The document is partially completed by default..

You will see there are 2 parts: Before the mobility and After the mobility. Complete only the section  Before the mobility. The information is the same as the one in the precommitment, but the tables are displayed one over the other, so we cannot see the exact correspondence between the credits in both universities.

Table A)  Write the courses you will perform at the host university with their credits at the host university. The code, if there is one, too. Remember that, in the stays for studies, the final thesis is also a course with credits. It corresponds to the left column of the precommitmentj.

Table B) Write what you will enrol at ETSETB, corresponding to courses that you will perform at the host university with their credits. The codes too (except for the ones for the common elective credits). It corresponds to the right column of the precommitment.

The three activities you can write and the instructions to do it, as well as the codes of the final theses at ETSETB, are at the precommitment section above.